Today is #WorldDrugDay #ListenFirst to children and youth is the 1st step to help them grow healthy and safe!“LISTEN FIRST – Listening to children and youth is the first step to help them grow healthy and safe” is a UNODC initiative to increase support for prevention of drug use that is based on science and is thus an effective investment in the well-being of children and youth, their families and their communities.
FACTS FOR PARENTS
Even in very difficult circumstances, a strong bond between children and parents can mean less risky behaviours. Parents have the most influence in helping their children grow happy and learn to cope well in difficult life situations.
- Spending even a small amount of time each day giving your child your complete attention can really help.
- Praise your child for at least ONE thing he/she is doing right. There is one for sure, even if small.
- Set clear rules for behaviour, focusing on what needs to be done. When rules are broken, try and stay calm, making sure there are clear and reasonable consequences.
- Ask your child what you need to know: where he/she will be, for how long, with whom and doing what.
- Taking part in prevention programmes that have been shown to be effective through scientific studies has helped thousands of families world-wide.
- Marijuana Facts for Teens
- Teenager Depression: Not a Myth Anymore
- Sweet sweet codeine: What Nigerians Are saying on Drug Abuse
Parents become better parents. Children behave better and do better in school.
Sweet sweet codeine: What Nigerians Are saying on Drug Abuse on PhrTV