A man in US, Tallmadge D’Elia, 38 died when a vape pen blew up and projected fragments into his skull, a post-mortem examination reviewed.
According to forensic officials, D’Elia also suffered burns over 80% of his body in a fire on 5 May caused by the exploding e-cigarette.
D’Elia’s body was discovered by firefighters in the burning bedroom of his family home in the beach resort of St Petersburg, Florida.
It is believed to be the first US death from a vape pen explosion.
An autopsy on the television producer showed two pieces of the vape pen were found in his cranium.
The report said emergency crews encountered “extensive” fire damage to the bedroom where the body was found, but minimal smoke.
The electronic cigarette was manufactured by Smok-E Mountain, said the medical examiner.
READ ALSO:Health Matters – Second Hand Smoke
Christopher D’Elia, father to the deceased grieved his son’s death saying it was a “terrible shock”
“Anybody who has lost a son doesn’t want anybody else to lose a child to something like this,” he said.