A lot of factors come into play to determine the level of your health and wellbeing. Stress can negatively impact on your health physically, mentally, and emotionally. In this article, the effects of stress on the body will be discussed as well as how to effectively avoid stressful situations. The causes of stress and it symptoms will also be highlighted.
Stress, health and Wellbeing
Before we go further, it’s important to define stress in the context of this article. According to Merriam-Webster stress is “a physical, chemical, or emotional factor that causes bodily or mental tension and may be a factor in disease causation”.
Although stress has negative effects on health, there are some benefits you can derive from stressful conditions. It makes you more focused, increases your ability to multi-task, and makes you more creative to solve problems and to meet tight deadlines.
Causes of stress
Different variables can lead to stress and these include:
- Heavy workload
- Emotional disturbance
- Marital crisis
- Long hours of work
- Financial issues
- Unresolved problems
The causes of stress can create an imbalance in your overall wellbeing, and it’s best you seek immediate help.
Symptoms of stress
There are telltale signs that you are under stress if you observe the following:
- Chest pain
- Eating disorder
- High blood pressure
- Energy loss and low morale
- Mood swings
- Muscle pain
Treatment for stress
- Plan your time according to your workload
- Take little breaks occasionally during long working hours
- Drink lots of water
- Be rational in decision making
- Seek assistance for peers to reduce your work
- Seek counseling for any emotional challenge
- Always be on the lookout for danger signs that may lead to stress and act accordingly to avoid having any adverse effect on your wellbeing. Never take your health for granted as it’s necessary to stay happy, productive, and enjoy a fulfilled life.