WHO says it’s too early to declare DR Congo Ebola free

0
56
Ebola Outbreak in DR Congo

World Health Organisation (WHO) chief, Tedros Ghebreyesus, has cautioned against declaring victory too early in Congo’s Ebola epidemic.

The WHO head had on Sunday said he believed a swift end could be put to the outbreak of Ebola in northwestern DR Congo. However, he said it will too hasty to declare the fight over.

READWHO say Ebola Outbreak in DR Congo could end soon

“The outbreak is stabilising, but still the outbreak is not over,” Ghebreyesus, told newsmen on a visit to Democratic Republic of Congo’s capital, Kinshasa.

“We are still at war, and we need to continue to strengthen our surveillance and … be very vigilant.”

WHO officials on Friday expressed cautious optimism that the epidemic of the deadly virus was stabilising, partly owing to the swift deployment of vaccines.

But a day earlier, Congo’s health ministry reported its first confirmed case of Ebola in over a week, in the rural community of Iboko.

READ ALSOEbola – WHO introduces 5 new drugs in DRC

According to Ghebreyesus, 2,200 people had been vaccinated, and that case management and tracing contacts of victims had gone well.

However, he said: “It’s not over until it is over. Even if one case crosses into Congo (Republic) and gets to an urban area, that could trigger another epidemic”.

Facebook Comments
Disclaimer: Pinnaclehealthradio.org does not guarantee any specific results as a result of the procedures mentioned here and the results may vary from person to person. The topics in these pages including text, graphics, videos and other material contained on this website are for informational purposes only and not to be substituted for professional medical advice.

Leave a Reply