As we look at Ketogenic Diet, you should know that food is an essential part of a person’s life. It is important to eat healthy and to do this, you have to eat from the five (5) classes of nutrients, eating variety of food can help protect the body from diseases and also increase quality of life and longevity.
Ketogenic diet is known to be a low carbohydrate diet, high protein and fat, and the body produces ketones in the liver to be converted to energy. Ketosis occurs when a person is on ketogenic diet,
ketosis is a natural process which occurs when there is low intake of food. In this process the body converts stored protein and fat in the liver to energy to be used for day to day activities.
As you all know ketogenic diet, low-carb diet or keto diet is the order of the day in Nigeria as most people especially ladies are joining on the fun of keto, I even hear they have groups on social media where they help each other and share their keto experiences and testimonies.
This is obviously a good development, after talking to some people about the diet, I am quite aware that it is quite expensive to comply with the meal plan. For instance having to eat chicken, eggs every now and then some husbands according to my source are complaining that their wives are now spending so much on food and a lot more.
So if you are thinking of starting a journey to Keto land you should have your facts and get yourself prepared.
For beginners you need to stock your house with eggs, chicken, leafy vegetable, mayonnaise, bacon, cheese, almond flour, coconut flour, coconut oil or olive oil, green tea e.t.c and fruits such as cucumber, avocado, berries, e.t.c
What to eat on a ketogenic diet.
- Meats – fish, beef, lamb, poultry, eggs, etc.
- Leafy Greens – spinach, kale, etc.
- Above ground vegetables – broccoli, cauliflower, etc.
- High Fat Dairy – hard cheeses, high fat cream, butter, etc.
- Nuts and seeds –walnuts, sunflower seeds, etc.
- Avocado and berries – raspberries, blackberries e.t.c.
- Other fats – coconut oil, high-fat salad dressing, saturated fats, etc.
5 things you need to know when starting a ketogenic diet
- Drink more water : When you start out on the plan, your body will be flushing a lot of water weight from your system as your carbohydrate intake goes down. Dehydration doesn’t feel great so aim to drink at least 8-10 glasses of water each day. This will help make the transition to ketosis much easier.
- Don’t worry about taking too much fat: most keto complaint diet are fat, don’t be worried about the fact, it is needed to be converted to energy.
- Restrict carbohydrate intake and eat protein moderately : in order to be complaint with this diet plan, you have to limit your carbohydrate and not eat too much of protein, you can substitute high carbohydrate foods to keto complaint ones, for example almond flour can be substituted for all purpose flour and so on
- Stop snacking in between meals: many people are used to taking snacks in between meals, this will not give a good result if you want to be keto complaint. If you must snack, you should do that with keto complaint snacks such as almond cake e.t.c
- Workout and exercise : in every weight shedding or fitness plan, workout is essential, this doesn’t have to be rigorous, it’s just about staying fit and alert for activities
RECOMMENDED: Understanding Your Toddler’s Eating Habit.
At this point I will like to draw out some benefits you can get from a ketogenic diet plan.
Complete cessation of hunger – many people have to remind themselves to eat
• Stable energy levels
• Stabilized blood glucose and insulin levels (which lowers your risk of diabetes!
• Improved cholesterol profiles, provided the right fats are eaten
• Lower blood pressure levels
• Decreased joint pain
• Better focus and concentration
• Weight loss
• Improved sleep
You don’t need to worry if you are not seeing the effect of eating keto complaint food immediately, as you all know the fats didn’t get there in a day so you just have to be patient a while longer. But averagely it should be evident within 2-3 weeks of commencing the diet plan. So I hope all this will help someone to decide on taking a leap through the keto journey