Avoid Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: Stay Safe While Staying Warm

Carbon Monoxide

Avoid Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: Stay Safe While Staying Warm, CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) warn the public. With more frigid weather on the way, it is important to stay safe while staying warm. *Carbon monoxide (CO), produced by furnaces, vehicles, portable generators, stoves, lanterns, gas ranges, or burning wood can make you sick and even be life threatening. Protect yourself by taking the following simple steps:

  • Install a battery-operated or battery back-up CO detector in your home. Check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each Spring and Fall.
  • Leave your home immediately and call 911 if your CO detector alarm sounds.
  • Have your heating system, water heater, and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.

SEE ALSO: Healthy Resolutions – Here are 12 tips to be healthy

  • Seek prompt medical attention if you feel dizzy, light-headed, or nauseated and suspect CO poisoning.
  • Do not heat your house with a gas oven.
  • Never run a car or truck inside a garage attached to your house, even if you leave the door open.
  • Do not burn anything in a stove or fireplace that is not vented.

RECOMMENDED: What do you do if you have the flu?

  • If your power goes out, remember—never use a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove, or other gasoline- or charcoal-burning device inside your home, basement, or garage or outside less than 20 feet from a window, door, or vent.

Your generator: How close is too close?

*Carbon monoxide (CO), an odorless, colorless gas, which can cause sudden illness and death, is produced any time a fossil fuel is burned.

Facebook Comments
Disclaimer: Pinnaclehealthradio.org does not guarantee any specific results as a result of the procedures mentioned here and the results may vary from person to person. The topics in these pages including text, graphics, videos and other material contained on this website are for informational purposes only and not to be substituted for professional medical advice.

Leave a Reply